Re: [Hampshire] [Fwd: [Peterboro] Free .PDF of Linux Format …

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Fwd: [Peterboro] Free .PDF of Linux Format magazine] (fwd)
On Wednesday 04 March 2009 12:28:53 Victor Churchill wrote:
> 2009/3/4 Sean Gibbins <sean@???>:
> > Sean Gibbins wrote:
> >> I used to read LF but found it was always little behind Slashdot and the
> >> various other news sites, and that the articles could lag a little too
> >> in terms of references to the latest versions of software, etc., under
> >> discussion, for obvious reasons I guess.
> >
> > Gah! That was well put, wasn't it?
> >
> > I wouldn't normally apologise but there's a truck-driver's gear change
> > in there that might cause the unwary to spill their coffee - sorry if
> > you are mopping out your keyboard as you read this!
> >
> > :-)
>
> made perfect sense to me, coffee remains unspilt ;-)
> And fog factor only 12.68 [1] :
>
> Indication of the number of years of formal education that a person
> requires in order to easily understand the text on the first reading
> Gunning Fog index :     12.68

> [1] http://www.online-utility.org/english/readability_test_and_improve.jsp

This rather fascinated me. So I put two things thro': first a short,
concise, dense and therefore almost wholly incomprehensible to this person of
18 years education, email from the Debian users list; then a random
selection of an email between Alan Bell and me about his servers. The first
got a Gunning Fog index of about 6.5, the second 16.74.

Great fun, but..... I defy any sixth grader to understand the first, and any
literate GCSE level student would easily have understood the second.

Lisi