Re: [Hampshire] Latency of Terminal Sessions [was]: Free .PD…

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Latency of Terminal Sessions [was]: Free .PDF of Linux Format, magazine]

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Stephen Davies wrote:

> Yeah, just like trying to do the same over an X.29 session to a computer
> 3000+ miles away.
> (AlemBank, Almaty if you are interested)

Are people still using X.29? I worked on a Triple-X PAD implementation
back in the late eighties, but I'd assume they had all gone the way of the
dodo by now!

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Victor Churchill wrote:

> There seem to be a lot of areas where fibre has not reached (heck,
> where /copper/ hasn't reached) and folks use satellite connections. OK
> for web browsing and emailing maybe, but the round trip time would
> make server managing impractical.

Are you sure they were really a satellite connection? They certainly exist
however I have several non-techy friends in the US who call their
connections "satellite" - because they have a dish, but in fact they are
really microwave links and are in fact pretty decent, one of them gets
better performance from her connection than I do from my (fairly decent)
cable connection.

Andy