Re: [Hampshire] Latency of Terminal Sessions [was]: Free .PD…

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Latency of Terminal Sessions [was]: Free .PDF of Linux Format, magazine]
2009/3/4 Stephen Davies <stephen.davies@???>:
> Quote Vic
>
> Tying to remotely edit files when the latency
> is ~3 seconds ... stressful.
>

> End Quote.
>
> Yeah, just like trying to do the same over an X.29 session to a computer
> 3000+ miles away.
> (AlemBank, Almaty if you are interested)

Recently (pre MeltDown) I was seriously planning to sell up and move
to Southern Spain and continue my present $job telecommute from up on
some remote hillside. Availability of good dependable connectivity
(ideally broadband) was crucial to the Plan so I looked into it a bit.
There seem to be a lot of areas where fibre has not reached (heck,
where /copper/ hasn't reached) and folks use satellite connections. OK
for web browsing and emailing maybe, but the round trip time would
make server managing impractical.

Whole topic is of course a bit academic now ;-(