Re: [Hampshire] Switch on after power loss

Author: Leo
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Switch on after power loss
Jacqui Caren wrote:

> I think perhaps we are confusing booting linux and logging onto a desktop.
>
> In the server world machines routinely reboot after a power outage
> idealworld: if the backup genset fails, the UPS last long enough for an
> orderly shutdown :-)
>
> Anyway, BIOS settings will configure your machine to boot. Linux generally
> will boot but usually will not start a user desktop. Servers tend to NOT have X
> or any desktops installed.
>
> Windows has a "shack-nasty" trick whereby you get the server to auto login
> to a user desktop - but this is only because without a desktop a windows
> server is not actually fully working :-)
>
> linux is different (and better!) the desktop belongs to the user not the server.
>
> This means that the box (BIOS) and linux may start but until you login no desktop
> *usually* exists.
>
> FWICR There are ways to get a linux box to auto login to a desktop but I have never
> wanted (or investigated how to do this).
>
> Jacqui

Sorry, I think maybe I haven't been very clear here. I'm not bothered
about the desktop or logging on - I just want the computer to switch on
after the power has been restored (E.g. computer is on or off, you then
unplug it from the mains, then plug it back in. At this point I would
like it to boot.)

The reason I ask is that on my desktop system there is an option in the
BIOS to do this. There's also an option to switch on at a given time.
The "switch on at a given time" option can also be set by Linux, rather
than setting it in the BIOS.

On my server there is no BIOS option for either of these. However by
using the same method as my desktop I've managed to get it to "switch on
at a given time" by setting it in linux. So I was wondering if I could
set the "switch on after power loss" option in a similar manner, but
googling hasn't got me anywhere so far.

I've found /proc/acpi/wakeup but can't discover if any of the options it
provides would do what I want.

Does that clarify things...?
Leo