Re: [Hampshire] GeneWeb and genealogy

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GeneWeb and genealogy
On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 15:14:30 +0000
Lisi <hantslug@???> wrote:

> Is GeneWeb reasonably accessible to a person who is coming virtually
> new to computers and totally new to both Linux and genealogy? And
> her support knows nothing about genealogy?
>
> And what about Gramps? Good, bad or indifferent? Easy or horrendous
> to use?

Geneweb on a linux based system is really easy to use as it runs as a
daemon, it isn't quite so simple on windows as the user needs to run
two applets before the database can be accessed

The geneweb data is accessed via a web browser (I happen to prefer
opera for this rather than iceweasel or any other linux browser).

Geneweb uses html forms for data input. Both my wife (a windows user)and
her cousin (a mac user) who had never seen linux or geneweb until I
introduced them to it found it simple to use and both have their joint
online database running on geneweb although they use windows/mac
genealogy software on their home desktops systems

Your friend can have a look at an online database here

http://geneweb.inria.fr/example?lang=en

she can add any data she wants to try it out. My own database is at

http://startx.co.uk:2317/Kingsclere

but this is read only.

If she doesn't want to install Geneweb herself it is possible to run
a personal geneweb database at geneanet which uses a customised version
of Geneweb. Once signed up (free) a new use can start from scratch or
import an existing tree in gedcom format.

http://www.geneanet.org/?lang=en

I have looked at gramps but didn't much like it, nor did my wife find
it particularly user friendly after years of using Family Tree Maker.

hope this helps

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop