Re: [Hampshire] problem involving Synaptic and Aptitude

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] problem involving Synaptic and Aptitude
Hi again,

Being a glutton for punishment I downloaded the ISO for PCLOS2007 and
installed it inside VirtualBox. I gave it 512MB of RAM and then did
the following:-

* Install aptitude (seems not to be there by default)
* aptitude update
* aptitude upgrade

I get a similar list of brokenness to you.

* aptitude dist-upgrade

No brokenness, but it just aborts at the end. See this pastebin for the result:-

http://pastebin.ubuntu-uk.org/46718

To save you clicking, the last 3 lines are:-

"742 packages upgraded, 175 newly installed, 22 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 897MB of archives. After unpacking 112MB will be used.
Abort. "

So it's not just you.

I also took the liberty to ask for support in #pclinuxos-support on
the freenode network, and here's the response.

00:04:40 < popey> greetings
00:05:14 < popey> Is it a known bug or faq that on a newly installed
pclinuxos, if I "aptitude dist-upgrade" it barfs at the end?
00:05:22 < popey> I understand there's some major packaging changes going on?
00:05:29 < popey> http://pastebin.ubuntu-uk.org/46718 is what happens
00:06:04 < popey> ( I am doing this inside a virtual machine running
pclos2k7 to help a friend who runs it, I get the same error she does,
and wondered if it was known about and being worked on)
00:07:07 < Dhamaka> you should read the big update thread
00:07:14 < Dhamaka>
http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=58&board=52.0
00:07:27 < Dhamaka> and the instructions
00:07:34 < Dhamaka>
http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=58&topic=53076.0
00:08:25 < popey> awesome stuff, thanks for the quick help!

Cheers,
Al.