Re: [Hampshire] problem involving Synaptic and Aptitude

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] problem involving Synaptic and Aptitude
On Monday 09 March 2009 00:09:47 Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Being a glutton for punishment I downloaded the ISO for PCLOS2007 and
> installed it inside VirtualBox. I gave it 512MB of RAM and then did
> the following:-
>
> * Install aptitude (seems not to be there by default)
> * aptitude update
> * aptitude upgrade

Thanks, Al; that was very kind of you.

> I get a similar list of brokenness to you.
>
> * aptitude dist-upgrade
>
> No brokenness, but it just aborts at the end. See this pastebin for the
> result:-
>
> http://pastebin.ubuntu-uk.org/46718
>
> To save you clicking, the last 3 lines are:-
>
> "742 packages upgraded, 175 newly installed, 22 to remove and 0 not
> upgraded. Need to get 897MB of archives. After unpacking 112MB will be
> used. Abort. "
>
> So it's not just you.
>
> I also took the liberty to ask for support in #pclinuxos-support on
> the freenode network, and here's the response.
>
> 00:04:40 < popey> greetings
> 00:05:14 < popey> Is it a known bug or faq that on a newly installed
> pclinuxos, if I "aptitude dist-upgrade" it barfs at the end?
> 00:05:22 < popey> I understand there's some major packaging changes going
> on? 00:05:29 < popey> http://pastebin.ubuntu-uk.org/46718 is what happens
> 00:06:04 < popey> ( I am doing this inside a virtual machine running
> pclos2k7 to help a friend who runs it, I get the same error she does, and
> wondered if it was known about and being worked on)
> 00:07:07 < Dhamaka> you should read the big update thread
> 00:07:14 < Dhamaka>
> http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=58&board=52.0
> 00:07:27 < Dhamaka> and the instructions
> 00:07:34 < Dhamaka>
> http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=58&topic=53076.0
> 00:08:25 < popey> awesome stuff, thanks for the quick help!

I did read and follow the instructions. They just didn't work.

And no, according to the instructions one should use the commands I used in
the order in which I used them. One should reboot and repeat three times, by
when all should be fine. This was supposed to be an ordinary but very large
upgrade in *preparation* for PCLOS 2009.

But as I said, thank you very much.

Lisi