Re: [Hampshire] S Levels - was Re: [Fwd: [Peterboro] Free .P…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List, lug
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] S Levels - was Re: [Fwd: [Peterboro] Free .PDF ofLinux Format magazine] (fwd)

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57061100.hantslug.org.uk.16855': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Mar 10 09:57:16 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 11:49:23PM +0000, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 16:50:50 +0000 (+0000), Simon Capstick wrote:
> > I did a maths and a physics S-level. I actually enjoyed them at the
> > time - you actually had to use your brain a bit more. Unfortunately my
> > year was touted as being the last (1994) they produced them.
>
> There were also STEP exams which were much the same. I needed either
> either an S or STEP to get into uni (fortunately got three ;-)) I
> remember the first one I tried was "arrgh, dunno how to do this"
> (since you had to think rather than rinse, repeat), but then you
> became used to it and learnt how to apply your learning to answer the
> question. Also took mine in 1994.

STEP are Cambridge-specific (or at least, were when I did mine).
Oxford had a similar system of having their own exam, but did it a few
months earlier. STEP is "Sixth-term examination paper" -- i.e. at the
end of the second year of A-level study. Oxford's exams were
"fourth-term" papers -- done near the beginning of that second year.

Hugo.

       --- Great oxymorons of the world, no. 1: Family Holiday ---