Re: [Hampshire] 10 reasons why Linux is better than Windows …

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] 10 reasons why Linux is better than Windows & Vice Versa
** Stephen Davies <stephen.davies@???> [2009-03-11 10:32]:
> 10 reasons why linux is best
> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=528
>
> now for
> 10 reasons why Windows is best.
> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=556
>
> This second post is a bit of ramble. One moment he is talking about
> servers then he is talking about OpenOffice
> then again I can't remember the last time had to recompile a kernel but
> I know that if I had to I could.
>
> I know the HantsLug team would support the 'Linux is best option' but
> surely there are some better arguments out there?

** end quote [Stephen Davies]

Just read the two of them through and I can't say as I like either of
them.

The first seems to be by a Red Hat/Fedora fan, and whilst there's
nothing wrong with that (can't believe I said that, but there isn't,
honest!), he seems a little too tied up in a specific version of Linux.
Maybe you can argue that it is easy to put a case if you stick to one
version, but I'd say he completely fails to state much of a case, and
simply comes across as a technical Linux fan who cannot articulate his
views.

The second author is far more articulate, but comes across as someone
clutching at straws to create a case that he doesn't completely believe
in himself by fudging things and trying to present cases that simply
don't stand up to scrutiny. Possibly the better arguement though, since
you have to know enough about both sides to know that they don't hold
water!

I don't think either manage to put together a convincing case. In fact
both, to my mind, put a better case for the other side by failing to
provide sound enough arguments!

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: