[Hampshire] [HARDWARE] begging for old RAM and giving a PC a…

Top Page
Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] [HARDWARE] begging for old RAM (Offer made and accepted)
Subject: [Hampshire] [HARDWARE] begging for old RAM and giving a PC away

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58278100.hantslug.org.uk.23466': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Mar 15 15:46:05 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
Hi.

A friend has a Novatech PC running Windows XP. It has only 256MB of RAM which
is shared between the main RAM and the graphics sub-system. It's a wee bit
sluggish and while I'd love to swap Windows to Linux on his machine I think
that would be a too much of a culture shock for him - he is over 80 and it's
taken him a while to learn Windows. Even it it was running Linux I'd still
want it to have more RAM.

Now I can buy 400MHz PC3200 DDR RAM from Novatech et al., but as everyone
knows old RAM such as 256 or 512 MB sticks of this vintage are
disproportionately expensive. Has anyone got a 256 or 512 stick lying around
that they would like to see go to a good home?

##

The same friend also has his son's old PC to give away, I think it's an AMD
K6-2 500MHz era PC from a no-name grey box builder. Probably make a good
firewall for someone, has floppy, CD-ROM and hard disk and I believe it
worked okay last time it was used.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

I guess that, if you're in Microsoft's shoes, it makes sense. If you
can't write software or protocols that can stably walk and chew gum,
program in a limit that prevents the user from telling it to do so.
-- Jonathan Patschke, on limitations in Active Directory