Re: [Hampshire] Shadowing tool

Top Page
Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Shadowing tool

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57f69100.hantslug.org.uk.24467': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Mar 15 18:41:05 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Sunday 15 Mar 2009, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a shadowing utility, such that I can see what
> someone else is doing on their X session? It's so I can help an
> inexperienced user over a network, but actually follow exactly what
> they are doing on the screen.
>
> They're using Xandros, I believe.

VNC is the obvious choice with x11vnc all running over SSH. Works well over
ADSL, I use to to help my dad use his Debian box.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

I guess that, if you're in Microsoft's shoes, it makes sense. If you
can't write software or protocols that can stably walk and chew gum,
program in a limit that prevents the user from telling it to do so.
-- Jonathan Patschke, on limitations in Active Directory