Re: [Hampshire] [HARDWARE] begging for old RAM and giving a …

Author: Dominic Cleal
To: adam.trickett
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [HARDWARE] begging for old RAM and giving a PC away
On Sunday 15 March 2009 16:55:45 Dr A. J. Trickett wrote:
> On Sunday 15 Mar 2009, Dominic Cleal wrote:
> > On Sunday 15 March 2009 15:46:04 Dr A. J. Trickett wrote:
> > > Now I can buy 400MHz PC3200 DDR RAM from Novatech et al., but as
> > > everyone knows old RAM such as 256 or 512 MB sticks of this vintage are
> > > disproportionately expensive. Has anyone got a 256 or 512 stick lying
> > > around that they would like to see go to a good home?
> >
> > Is it a minimum of PC3200?
>
> Checking out the DDR details on Wikipedia, all DDR RAM is the same it's
> just the certified frequency that matters. The current stick is a single
> DDR-400 or PC-3200, so it needs to be a PC-3200 stick if I keep the current
> one in. If someone (or you) have more RAM in a slightly slower
> configuration, then I suspect that's probably okay, I put the new sticks in
> a take the older one out.

Yes, that sounds about right. I was curious if it needed to be PC-3200 given
that it only has 256MB at the moment. It's quite possible that the box is
lower spec; it might be worth checking with CPU-Z.

Anyway, if it's not too slow, I have some PC-2100 (266MHz) 512MB sticks that
are free to a good home. You'd be able to replace the existing stick as
well. Let me know if they're of any use to you.

Cheers,

--
Dominic Cleal
dominic@???