Re: [Hampshire] Hardware - laptop fails to start

Author: Steve Kirk
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hardware - laptop fails to start
On Sunday 15 March 2009 16:53:23 Roger Munford wrote:
> I was with a friend a couple of weeks ago when his Acer laptop went
> in the same way. As Vic and Paul advise, we checked with an external
> monitor. However we didn't actually need a torch to test because we
> could make out an image on the screen which confirmed that the screen
> was working. There is a further piece of advice that we found which
> was to check the open/close switch on the laptop. Apparently this
> switch will automatically switch off the screen and can be mechanical
> or magnetic. My friend found it (mechanical) after I had left and
> gave it a few pokes to make sure it wasn't stuck. We did disassemble
> the screen following a guide but were nervous that the plastic
> fasteners would simply snap off but they didn't.

Interestingly it's working at the moment and I did wonder if there was
some kind of problem with the screen on/off switch. It's mechanical and
seems to move without a problem though.

The 'last' command also doesn't show any system reboots from earlier in
the day when I was trying to start the machine up.

Cheers,
Steve