Re: [Hampshire] GeneWeb and genealogy

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GeneWeb and genealogy
On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 17:20:18 +0000
Mark Easterbrook <marklist@???> wrote:

> I have used GeneWeb for many years and haven't found anything
> better. For me the advantages are:
> 1) It is accessed as http so I can give access to others and
> I can access it anywhere.
> 2) I can wget the data and incorporate it into my genealogy
> website (via a bit of sed/perl/grep/awk etc)

I make use of gwu to make a backup copy of my local database and
scp the resultant .gw file to where my online database is hosted and
then use gwo to recreate the database on the server.

> e.g. http://easterbrook.org.uk/name_families.html
>      http://easterbrook.org.uk/devon_dartmoorW.html
> 3) It is open source so I can tweak things.
> 4) It is possible to take a database copy onto CD which gives a
> read-only version that I can use on a laptop or give to
> someone.

> The geneweb->website interface has evolved, it started with
> just a few sed/grep/awk scripts, but as it become more
> complicated these have been re-written to perl.

You have done pretty well to customize the look of geneweb. I have no
knowledge of script writing so have kept to the original look. I know
there are lots of ready made scripts 'out there' but most of the
explanation on using them was in french so I didn't even try them out.

I used to be on the Yahoo geneweb forum, mostly conducted in french
too, where these scripts were often discussed. Somehow I got kicked off
and yahoo said it was because I rejected emails (not intentionally). I
haven't made any attempt to re-connect up to now.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop