Re: [Hampshire] DIY RAID - quick answer required

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DIY RAID - quick answer required
** Rob Malpass <lug@???> [2009-03-20 15:09]:
> In preparation for my DIY DROBO project, I'm fiddling about with RAID but I have a quick question as I'm short of time. Can someone please give me a yes/no answer to this (assuming it is that simple a question)??
>
> Is it possible to setup RAID (RAID 1 I think is what I'm after i.e. same data gets sent to 2 separate drives simultaneously) across two drives where one is internal PATA IDE (and indeed this wil be the drive the system boots from) and one is external USB?
>
> The reason I ask is if, for example, what I'm proposing is impossible - I need to pop out this afternoon and get another external USB HDD - which I won't have time for over the weekend.
>
> Cheers - sorry the question's a bit garbled I am very short of time.

** end quote [Rob Malpass]

When you say DIY DROBO project does this mean you're using your own
hardware and not working on a real DROBO? If so do you have space in the
main PC case for another PCI card? If you do then you may like to
consider putting a SATA card in [1] or just an eSATA back plane
connected to an existing controller [2], and using an external SATA
enclosure [3], which should show up to the machine as a standard SATA
drive whether fitted internally or externally. I've not checked prices
recently, but some of the SATA add-in cards have an external SATA
connector on the back plate, and some of the (slightly more expensive)
external enclosures support SATA connection to the main machine.

By the way, none of things links are recommendations of the product or
supplier, they are just the first (or close to) examples that came up
through Google - and I'm surprised Novatech don't do the eSATA cards
anymore!

[1]
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/698/905/-/3471540/Sitecom-CN-042-4-Port-eSATA-PCI-Card/Product.html?searchtype=genre
[2] http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=4QTG
[3] http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?AKA-STONBK

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: