[Hampshire] NAS help

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] NAS help

A couple of weeks ago I came across a Lacie 500gb Central Storage NAS for sale
fairly cheaply so knowing that space on my ext. USB disk is limited I purchased
it (never a good idea to just purchase something without checking it will work
with Linux but hey ho).

When you set it up there are two types of shares available called openshare and
myshare, as the name suggests openshare if so anybody can access it and myshare
is a personal share. I am only interested in the openshare as I want all my
users to be able to access the share as it will hold MP3's and digital
pictures.

The problem I have is getting it to work on my linux box, user who use a windows
PC can read and write to the drive without a problem.

I have mounted the drive via the fstab file with the following line

//192.168.1.250/openshare /media/openshare smbfs rw,noauto 0 0

Now if I access the disk via konqueror and look under media/openshare all files
and folders are listed as users root, group root

I have tried to change the owner and group permissions (as root) with

chgrp users /media/openshare/Pictures

chown mit /media/openshare/Picturess

(ok I know the user and group I choose was not the best but I am at this point
just trying to change it)

But it remains the same.

If I open Konqueror and use the url

smb://192.168.1.250/openshare

Then the files and folders are listed as user "me" and group "users" and I can
read and write to the drive ok.

Now I want to use Digikam for my digital pictures, but Digikam won't connect to
a remote share, it has to be a physical disk on my linux box (or at least think
it is).

So what is the best way to access my Nas and to fultil all my requirements?? Is
NFS the way to go??

My Distro is Mepis 8 (Debian Lenny based)

Thanks in advance

Tim