Re: [Hampshire] NAS help

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NAS help
On Sunday 22 March 2009 15:06:19 Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/3/22 Tim <xendistar@???>:
> > I have mounted the drive via the fstab file with the following line
> >
> > //192.168.1.250/openshare /media/openshare smbfs rw,noauto 0 0
>
> Dunno if it helps but this is how I mount my drobo on linux via an
> entry in fstab.
>
> //192.168.129.237/drobo /media/drobo cifs
> guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode 0 0
>
> Note cifs rather than smbfs, and specifying a uid.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

>     Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:08:32 +0000

> 2009/3/22 Tim <xendistar@???>:
> > I have mounted the drive via the fstab file with the following line
> >
> > //192.168.1.250/openshare /media/openshare smbfs rw,noauto 0 0
>
> Dunno if it helps but this is how I mount my drobo on linux via an
> entry in fstab.
>
> //192.168.129.237/drobo /media/drobo cifs
> guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode 0 0
>
> Note cifs rather than smbfs, and specifying a uid.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Hi Alan

Your comments and some other information I came across pointed me in the right
direction I can now access the share rw on my linux box. The line in my fstab
now reads

//192.168.1.250/openshare /media/openshare cifs guest,uid=1000,gid=100,rw,noauto
0 0

the uid is my user uid and the gid is the users

While this seem to be ok I still have problems with digikam. Apparently digikam
does not like nfs or samba shares as sqllite has difficulty setting a lock
file. There is a work around here

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-bugs-dist&m=117536777106366&w=2

The problem I have is that for some reason I can't make the symlink

mit@Titan:~$ ln -s /Pictures/digikam3.db /media/openshare/Pictures
ln: creating symbolic link `/media/openshare/Pictures/digikam3.db': Operation
not supported.

Is this likely to be a problem with the nas or a permissions problem?

Tim