Re: [Hampshire] insmod problem

Author: Mike Burrows
To: hlug090104
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] insmod problem

> However, trying to view the output with xawtv gave an error. Googling
> turned up this gem;
>
> # xawtv -nodga -device /dev/video0
>
> This may all be total twaddle and useless to you - but it may just help
> you piece something together. If you have something already working (the
> BT878) then you are *very close* to solving this. I do also recall
> having to change some of the module options on load to get things the
> way I wanted (BT878 was outputting black and white) - but in a nutshell
> it pretty much 'just worked' for me. EasyCam2 certainly did it for me,
> and I suspect it did some of the hard work.

Hi and thx for the tips. I think I get most of it. Haven't installed
easycam2 yet coz i think the issue is more fundamental. I have taken
out the hauppage card hoping that the quickcam wound be assigned to the
video0 device. however, xawtv has put the devices in /dev/.static/dev,
so tried this:

testermike@marvin:/dev$ xawtv -nodga -device /dev/.static/dev/video0
This is xawtv-3.95.dfsg.1, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.18-4-486)
can't open /dev/.static/dev/video0: No such device
v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
v4l2: open /dev/.static/dev/video0: Permission denied
v4l2: open /dev/.static/dev/video0: Permission denied
v4l: open /dev/.static/dev/video0: Permission denied
no video grabber device available
testermike@marvin:/dev$

I have chmodded the device to 666 but still get permission denied. In spite of the above xawtv is still looking in /dev:

testermike@marvin:/dev$ xawtv
This is xawtv-3.95.dfsg.1, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.18-4-486)
can't open /dev/video0: No such file or directory
v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
v4l2: open /dev/video0: No such file or directory
v4l2: open /dev/video0: No such file or directory
v4l: open /dev/video0: No such file or directory
no video grabber device available
testermike@marvin:/dev$

should I move video0 to /dev. tried to copy it and was unable to.

Cheers
Mike