Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft Vista Refund - Information Sought

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft Vista Refund - Information Sought
Stephen Rowles wrote:
>> Sean Gibbins wrote:
>>
>> Actually, it is reasonably straight forward.
>>
>> The summary of this is that I need to ship the laptop to Acer within 28
>> days of purchase in order that they can remove the OS and ship it back
>> with a bare hard drive, again at my expense, within 3 days, along with
>> my refund for £20.30.
>>

> I would be very careful sending the laptop back to Acer if you don't have
> to, especially for a return of £20 minus the shipping costs. If you Google
> around for acer customer support they have a terrible reputation (or
> rather the people they out-source to in the UK have a terrible
> reputation). I have read lots of reports of laptops being returned to fix
> a specific fault and coming back with more damage than they went in with.
>
> I personally would live without the £20 refund for the sake of keeping
> hold of the laptop ;), at least this isn't dismantling it (or at least
> shouldn't be) but I would still treat it as a risk.
>
> My brother has also had serious issues getting his laptop repaired under
> an insurance claim after he dropped it. It is now back for the 3rd time as
> they fixed the broken screen but have caused lots of other issues in the
> mean time!
>
> Just thought it was worth point out in case it influences the decision.

Good point, especially considering my experiences with couriers in the
past*, and I will put the final decision in Ellen's hands, as I think
she is fairly keen to get this thing up and running as smoothly her
desktop machine is currently.

If she says she can't be bothered to be without it and risk damage in
transit all for the sake of pocket change and /my/ principles, then I
will simply scrub Vista and set up Ubuntu on it.

Sean

* ShittyLink dropping a £300 Shuttle machine from a height of 2m over my
garden gate, in the rain, onto concrete, and ParcelFarce leaving a £2.2K
laptop on the doorstep!

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa