[Hampshire] Simple RAID problem

Author: Rob Malpass
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Simple RAID problem
Hi all

Trying to setup raid (on Ubuntu 8.1) with the command

mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

and receiving the error no recognisable superblock on /dev/sdb

The thing is I can mount both drives having formatted them to ext3 previously. I don't know what superblock means but I thought it meant that the drive's not formatted - which it obviously is if I can mount and read/write to it. I must be doing something obvious wrong - but can't see what. To the best of my knowledge I've followed the guide at

Cheers
Rob