Re: [Hampshire] Simple RAID problem

Author: Stuart Sears
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Simple RAID problem
Rob Malpass wrote:
[snip]

> Brilliant - thanks Hugo and Stuart for your advice. AFAIK I've now setup
> raid1 across two devices on a virtual machine. The thing is - how do I
> verify this?

what, verify that it's actually written to both?

you can verify the existence of the RAID array with
mdadm --detail /dev/md0

> As I understand it - everything I now send to /dev/md0 (which I've mounted
> under /mnt) is sent to both /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc simultaneously.
> Presumably (I've not tried) but it won't just let me mount them somewhere
> else so I can see what's going on as they're now part of a raid device and
> won't contain ext3 filesystems - is that right?

Actually, they will. RAID 1 simply duplicates the blocks you write, so
both members of the array should be identical.

You should be able to mount either one of them separately as ext3, if
you wish. I would absolutely not do this at the same time as having
/dev/md0 mounted, if I were you :) (well, not mounted rw, anyway)

Regards,

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.