Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue

Author: trotter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue
At 18:41 30/03/2009, you wrote:
>trotter wrote:
> > At 10:19 30/03/2009, you wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> A bit OT I know but I am hoping that someone somewhere has encountered
> >> this issue or at least something similar.
> >>
> >> Basically I have a Pro-ject Debut II turntable hooked up to a Pro-Ject
> >> Phono Box II USB phono stage.
> >>

> > Decent beginner turntable.
> >

>Heh, it was all I could afford at the time - a used 'bargain' from ebay.
>Badly packaged, it arrived in a 'kit form' never intended by the
>manufacturers, and a combination of postal insurance and a partial
>refund made it viable once the replacement parts had been purchased.
>It's actually in great condition now and sounds good to my
>none-too-discerning ears.
>
>I recall that it nearly cost me a great deal more than money when my
>wife discovered I wanted to start buying vinyl again!
>
>;-)

I have a projective perspective which was £600 new but i picked it
up for £400 on ebay. Unfortunately vinyl hardware is expensive for
sound that is better than cd. CD is better bang for buck unfortunately.

I enjoy trawling car boot sales for vinyl.
Then cleaning them up with disco knosti antistat fluid bath.

> >> It occurs to me that the alternative is to unhook the phono stage from
> >> the amp and attach it to the line-in
> >>

> > Is that the line in on the amp?
> >

>I was actually thinking of going from phono stage line-out to laptop
>audio line-in, via a cable to convert phono leads to a 3.5mm jack plug,
>but yes it occurs to me now that you mention it that I may be by-passing
>the DAC device in the phono stage by doing this.
>
>I ripped my copy of De Stijl by The White Stripes today and got an
>excellent result. The problem is that it is currently a lottery as to
>what input levels I get!

Unfortunately line in on sound cards are frankly abysmal quality
wise. In a recent PC pro magazine feature on ripping vinyl it stated that
you really need to buy a sound card close to £100 for anything remotely
decent.

This put me off doing it with a PC so i am sticking with MiniDisc
for now. Besides its easier that way.

Martin N

Co-Moderator of MiniDisc and amithlonopen yahoo groups.