Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue
2009/3/30 Sean Gibbins <sean@???>:
> Hi All,
>
> A bit OT I know but I am hoping that someone somewhere has encountered
> this issue or at least something similar.
>
> Basically I have a Pro-ject Debut II turntable hooked up to a Pro-Ject
> Phono Box II USB phono stage. This latter device has a USB output that
> shows up as a Burr-Brown USB DAC when probed by alsaconf or similar. By
> selecting this device and using audacity or gramofile I can rip vinyl
> albums and singles to .wav files, for subsequent processing and
> compression to ogg vorbis audio files. The most convenient and
> consistent way to do this has proved to be using the following process:
>
> 1. boot laptop running Puppy 4.11
> 2. attach Pro-Ject Phono Box II USB to usb port
> 3. run alsaconf and select this device as the sound card
> 4. run [zmixer|alsamixer|sgmixer|...] to set the recording level
> (although this seems to be totally ineffective)
> 5. run gramofile
> 6. record the signal
> 7. process the signal

You should not need alsaconf.
Just plug the usb device in and run "alsamixer" (The dumb terminal
one, not the gui one.)
Options for startup could be
alsamixer -c0
alsamixer -c1
etc.
Once you find your usb sound card, try to set all the levels to 0dB gain.
If it only shows percentage values, you are a bit lost then.

Then, record your sound without changing volume levels.
You should get the best recording without any distortion. You can then
adjust the levels later in an audio file editor if need be.

Kind Regards

James