Re: [Hampshire] Can anyone recommend a MythTV tuner card?

Author: Steve Wesemeyer
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Can anyone recommend a MythTV tuner card?
On Monday 06 April 2009 08:55:16 AdamC wrote:
> Am thinking of bulding a MythTV box over the holiday period, using an
> old Pentium 233 box.
>
> Are there any gotchas over choosing a Tuner card? I imagine with a low
> processor, I will need one which has hardware encoding - anyone got
> one in particular to play nicely with Linux?
>
> Also, Is it possible to encode recordings to mpeg-4 and then save them
> over to a NAS device? I don't really want the machine sat in my lounge
> whirring away (already have a PVR Humax in place) and so by saving
> them on the NAS, I should be able to watch them using the PS3.
>
> TIA
> Adam

Adam,

Have a look at:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hardware_Requirements

Are you thinking of recording analog or digital TV?

I have a NOVA T-500 dual tuner DVB-T card which works almost flawlessly.

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-500

However, you might be pushing your luck a bit with those low-end specs...

Cheers,
Steve