Re: [Hampshire] What is a Shuttle PC?

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What is a Shuttle PC?
On Sunday 12 April 2009 14:50:56 Rob Malpass wrote:
> TIA - I promise I have done a lot of googling on this but not turned up the
> one answer I need - why buy a shuttle PC as opposed to a traditional tower?

As Sean said, form factor is possibly the biggest advantage.
I've never used them to do much more than simple firewall/web server
tasks, so no idea how well they perform for heavy duty work loads.
Because of their small size, it can sometimes be tricky to fit
PCI cards into them

Recently I've been looking at these:

https://secure.dnuk.com/systems/configure/d500.php

Which seem to be a little bit larger, go up to 8GB and 4 cores,
plus come with Linux pre-installed. Not that I've had any issues
getting OpenBSD/Gentoo running on my current Shuttles.

The former has been running fine for over 6 years as a firewall
and webserver.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???