Re: [Hampshire] What is a Shuttle PC?

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What is a Shuttle PC?
Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've done a bit of googling but (apart from the obvious shape of the
> case) what's so special about a shuttle PC?
>
> I'm looking to put together a new machine with quite a bit of grunt
> (6Gb RAM+ and as fast a CPU as I can afford). The only other real
> specification I need is that it can handle dual monitors. Aside from
> that, standard sound is ok, as is standard network. A front USB port
> would be handy but no other major requirements. I intend to dual
> boot Ubuntu and Vista and the main thrust of the machine's work will
> be video editing (hence the RAM, CPU and graphics).
>
> Physical space is an issue but is there anything else to watch out
> for? I notice for instance that lots of Shuttle PCs have only 275W
> power supplies - presumably the case can't take any more hardware so a
> stronger PSU isn't an issue - is that right?
>
> TIA - I promise I have done a lot of googling on this but not turned
> up the one answer I need - why buy a shuttle PC as opposed to a
> traditional tower?
>
> Cheers
> Rob

If what your really want is a small form factor case, there are plenty
of ways you can do this yourself without paying the Shuttle premium. Now
of course you don't get the convinience of a ready built machine etc.
but it will save you some money :)

There are places like:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=47

and

http://linitx.com/

Both of which I have ordered parts from in the past will sort you out
with a small form factor case, mini-itx / mini-atx mother boards, etc.
to build your own small form factor PC. Not sure how much memory you
will easy fit as most boards only have 1 or 2 dimm slots, but worth
looking into.

I have built myself a small server based around a case similar to this:

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10543

And a media centre based around one of these cases:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=3#media

which have both run fine. But I've had not serious CPU horse power
requirements :)