Re: [Hampshire] What is a Shuttle PC?

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What is a Shuttle PC?
On Sunday 12 April 2009 17:12:13 Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Samuel Penn wrote:
> > I've never used them to do much more than simple firewall/web server
> > tasks, so no idea how well they perform for heavy duty work loads.
> > Because of their small size, it can sometimes be tricky to fit
> > PCI cards into them
> >
> > Recently I've been looking at these:
> >
> > https://secure.dnuk.com/systems/configure/d500.php
>
> Interestingly, that's an Antec micro-ATX case - I was going to suggest
> something similar (I have two two Antec cases here and love 'em!) as an
> alternative to a Shuttle.
>
> With 8GB RAM and a decent graphics card that comes out at around £800 on
> the 'configurator', which I guess is not bad for a compact, powerful
> machine. I suspect that you could buy the various bits and pieces and
> make a reasonable saving on that price if you felt confident with
> assembling it. The case is about £100 retail.

Yeah. I don't need a graphics card - it's to replace a tower server that
cost me ~£2000 in 2002 - but last time I checked it was close to that,
probably since I went for lots of disc as well.

I could get something cheaper, but this option saves time on sourcing
everything and building it.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???