Re: [Hampshire] Multi-headed virtualization

Author: Simon Capstick
To: paul
CC: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Multi-headed virtualization
Hi Paul,

Sounds like you should be looking at Windows Terminal Server. Never
used them myself but sounds right for you. We don't use thin terminals
but there are plenty of commercial Windows and Linux based ones out
there. And I have seen VESA mount type ones for monitors too. Or roll
your own Linux ones with low power hardware such Intel Atom boards or
VIA's mini-itx platform. This may save you cash if you have the time to
do it.

If you're looking at DL380s look for the low voltage processor power
saving models. HP have a spreadsheet somewhere on their website that
allows you to calculate the energy consumption of a DL380 in any
configuration. The integrated Lights Out boards show your power usage
in the web interface. Our DL380s have 2 x 4 core 2Ghz Xeons, 8 GB RAM,
5 x 10k SAS disks and use about 270 Watts.

Simon