Re: [Hampshire] Remote copy of Firefox?

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Remote copy of Firefox?
Hi Richard,

Richard Danter wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> 2009/4/24 Simon Capstick <simon@???>:
>> Does anyone know if there are there any GPL equivalents to this
>> commercial product?
>>
>> http://www.thinstuff.com/products/lx-server/
>>
>> ( a multi-user X server combined with an RDP (remote desktop) server )
>>
>> I want to give (Windows) desktop users access to a remote copy of the
>> Firefox web browser running on a firewalled and sandboxed Linux server.
>> Basically I need a multi-user X server combined with a VNC or RDP
>> server. I don't want a whole remote Linux desktop, just a remote
>> Firefox window for several users.
>
> You could install a minimal Cygwin with X Server and then set up a
> shortcut on each windows desktop which ssh'd to the Linux Server and
> started Firefox which would then display on the Windows desktop. I
> used to do this all the time but now I run Linux on my desktop
> instead.
>
> Rich

I hadn't thought of using Cygwin. That would be fine for a few users
but ideally I want something I can scale up to 20+ users. Installing
and updating Cygwyn and SSH certificates on the clients could start to
become a administrative burden.

I was hoping not to have to roll my own solution since I'm short on time
at the moment. But I guess a starting point is to look at combining vnc
with the xvfb virtual framebuffer X.org driver?

Simon