Re: [Hampshire] A sad day for me (and Tux??). A good day for…

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] A sad day for me (and Tux??). A good day for Bill?
Lisi wrote:
> I have been trying for weeks now to record a simple file in Linux, and getting
> almost nowhere. (I recorded 2 words yesterday, but now can't do it again.
> And anyhow, 2 words is not enough.) I just don't know enough about sound
> mixing to understand the instructions, particularly as every mixer and
> instruction uses different terms. I don't want to mix anything. I don't
> want multiple tracks. I just want a simple recording such as can be done on
> any cheap tape player.
>
> So just now, I went right against the grain and tried in XP. It Just Worked.
> No jargon. No incomprehensible instructions. You click record. It records.
> You click stop, it stops. You click rewind, it rewinds. You click play and
> it plays. Not very good quality, but hey, who cares.
>
> So I am going to have to tell Peter that he must record in Windows because XP
> provides a simple recorder. :-((
>
> And yes, I have tried to find a simple recorder in Linux. It doesn't seem to
> exist.
>
> And if anyone tells me that Audacity is simple I shall go outside and
> scream. :-(

Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 are not easy with sound recording, however, my
recent install of 8.04.2 and updated, worked ok with gnome sound
recorder. In these versions, pulseaudio sound server is used and I do
not think that audacity works with that yet in those versions.

However, ubuntu 9.04 works out of the box almost, with gnome sound
recorder.

I think I had to set the mixer options to include Mix and record Mix,
and I think I needed to do that with 8.04.2 also, but in 8.04.2 the
gnome sound recorder record level does not indicate, it records ok though.

I record some bbc radio 7 stuff sometimes.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user #10391