Re: [Hampshire] Ergonomic mouse ?

Author: trotter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ergonomic mouse ?
At 15:19 29/04/2009, you wrote:
>Jon Wilks wrote:
> > I'm beginning to get pain in my shoulder through over use of the mouse.
> >    I have seen other alternatives like a mouse pen or a track ball mouse
> > and wonder if anyone has experience of these things and recommend
> their use.

> > It would have to work under Fedora 10 or Ubuntu of course :-)
> >

>I've also suffered with shoulder problems initially caused (I suspect)
>through use of a mouse almost at shoulder height through my teens. Our
>PC was in a cabinet by the dining room table and this was where the
>mouse ended up. After doing the initial damage I'd struggled with using
>a normal mouse at work, in spite of being in a far more normal position.
>I switched to a trackball about 3 years ago and the problem has been
>significantly reduced.
>
>I did see a doctor about it, I was told it's a trapped nerve and they
>can't do anything about it.
>
>I use a Logitech TrackMan, originally had a Microsoft one but found the
>ball tended to stick.

I switched years ago to a Logitech Marble Trackball from Argos and have
since got 2 more. I had arm ache rather than pain so i decided to switch
and it doesn't happen anymore.

Trackballs are inevitably more expensive due to the economies of scale
but definitely recommended as you get used to them pretty quickly and
I now find mice irksome to use.

There are no compatibility problems since I have used the trackball on
my amiga 4000, SuSE Linux, syllable OS and mac OS x with no problems.

Martin N

Co-Moderator of MiniDisc and amithlonopen yahoo groups.