Re: [Hampshire] Ergonomic mouse ?

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ergonomic mouse ?
Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/4/29 Jon Wilks <jonnyx10e3@???>:
>
>> I'm beginning to get pain in my shoulder through over use of the mouse.
>> I have seen other alternatives like a mouse pen or a track ball mouse
>> and wonder if anyone has experience of these things and recommend their use.
>>

> Bloke at work uses a trackball (there's always one) and he swears by
> it. I don't think you'll have much of a compatibility problem as
> they're just seen as mice. Another guy I worked with had a trackpad
> (like you get on laptops) but external. He seemed very happy with it.

I suffer awful neck problems if he uses a regular mouse for hours on end
(i.e. at work) that result in neck pain and referred pain down into my
wrist. I use a Logitech trackball (ancient now, so the model is probably
irrelevant) and that makes all the difference as it removes the
micro-movements that fatigue the neck and shoulder muscles over
prolonged periods.

Essentially you want a device that all-but eradicates the need to move
your arm, so the base of the trackball will need to be static and all
navigation will be achieved through moving just your fingers and thumb.

I once saw a track ball that combined the worst aspects of a mouse with
the less-convenient features of a track-ball - you had to move the base
around /and/ twiddle the ball! Avoid this unless you try it and it
really works for you - I tried it and it was horrible in every way -
poor design.

Other things to look at are seating, posture and screen position; the
arm bone is connected to the shoulder which connected to the back bone,
etc., so you ideally need a good chair that leaves your feet flay on the
floor, positions you hips level with or slightly higher than your knees,
encourages a straight back and positions your elbows higher than your
wrists. Your shoulders should not hunch up and your eyes should be
looking at a point on the screen about a third of the way down.

Regular massage or some other physical therapy will help, as will
exercise that moves the arm through a wide range of movements. You
probably want to get past any acute or sub-acute phase before you hit
the pool or the gym though, and possibly take advice from your therapist
too.

Finally, laptops are an ergonomic nightmare!

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa