[Hampshire] convert download video to domestic DVD?

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] convert download video to domestic DVD?
I have some material downloaded by BitTorrent of a TV series currently
being broadcast. (I believe this is OK from a TV license viewpoint and
trust it is from the copyright viewpoint as well.)

The download files are .avi format, and while I can view them on my
desktop my OH would like to watch them on the regular TV (I can't
think why... something to do with the space in here? ;-)

The home DVD player does not like a DVD burnt with the .avi files. The
TV has an S_Video input but I do not have an S-Video output on the
laptop. Likewise a yellow socket whose name I do not know on the TV
but not on the laptop. Normal (VGA?) video out on laptop but not in on
TV. So no direct connection.

Is there a way on Ubuntu to write a 'regular' DVD that will play on a
domestic player?