Re: [Hampshire] convert download video to domestic DVD?

Author: Leo
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] convert download video to domestic DVD?
Victor Churchill wrote:
> I have some material downloaded by BitTorrent of a TV series currently
> being broadcast. (I believe this is OK from a TV license viewpoint and
> trust it is from the copyright viewpoint as well.)
>
> The download files are .avi format, and while I can view them on my
> desktop my OH would like to watch them on the regular TV (I can't
> think why... something to do with the space in here? ;-)
>
> The home DVD player does not like a DVD burnt with the .avi files. The
> TV has an S_Video input but I do not have an S-Video output on the
> laptop. Likewise a yellow socket whose name I do not know on the TV
> but not on the laptop. Normal (VGA?) video out on laptop but not in on
> TV. So no direct connection.
>
> Is there a way on Ubuntu to write a 'regular' DVD that will play on a
> domestic player?

Once you've converted them to MPEG2 try DvdWizard [1]. I use it loads to
put TV I've recorded on my computer onto DVD to watch on a TV. You give
it the mpg files you want on the DVD and it goes off and produces the
menus, chapters etc. I think it's really good.

I'd also have thought that mplayer or ffmpeg could convert them to
MPEG2, but don't know the specific command off the top of my head.

Leo

1. http://dvdwizard.wershofen.net/