[Hampshire] constantly flickering LEDs on router, second try…

Author: hantslug
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] constantly flickering LEDs on router, second try.
Sorry, everybody. Shouldn't have explored while I had an email on the go. :-(

I have had this problem since yesterday evening.

When my main desktop is connected to the router the light on the port to which
it is connected flickers constantly. I have tried it on 3 of the 4 ports. I
do not have this problem with any of the other computers that are attached.
Simultaneously the Internet connected led flashes. Initially the IDE HDD light
flashed as well, but that appears to have stopped.

I have tried:
Three of the ports on the router.
two different network cards (the computer has two)
run rkhunter
a live CD

The first two of those made no difference. Rkhunter found, so it said, a Trojan
in inetd. So far I have done nothing with that information other than worry.
The last, when I finally found a live CD that was prepared to talk to my
hardware (Puppy 4.1.2 - Knoppix 6 was sadly a no go :-( ) was rock solid. I
tried to use it a fair bit, then just left it, and it stayed rock solid for
about two hours.

I have googled both about the problem and about the rkhunter result. I do not
know how much credence I should give the result, and if Puppy has rkhunter in
its toolkit I may run it on the system from there.

As to the problem, other possible causes I found were PSU and RAM. I have a
PC/SPS Tester, but am a bit scared to use it after all the warnings on the
net! I shall probably run Memtest overnight.

TIA
Lisi