Re: [Hampshire] Fw: ADSL Line problems

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Fw: ADSL Line problems
Rob Malpass <lug@???> wrote:
> On Wednesday, the "voice part" of my ADSL line
> failed i.e picking up the receiver on that line
> was completely dead. Broadband was up at the
> time. I called BT and within a day or so they
> had fixed it. In the interim - broadband had
> been intermittant.
>
> Since the voice line has been repaired, I have
> had to reboot the router a couple of times by
> power cycling it. Zen tech support tell me
> that prior to the 1st instance of the line going
> down last Wednesday, I had had a solid
> connection for 32 days. Since the line's been
> "fixed" I have required a daily reboot.
>
> So I'm beginning to wonder if the disruption to
> the line has actually damaged the router or even
> fixed the voice at the expense of the ADSL.
> The speed curiously enough seems to have doubled
> - though is highly dependent on the time of day.
>
> So should I wait and see - or buy a new router
> now?

What is the problem that's causing you to restart
the router? Are you losing access to the Internet?
Does the router respond - can you access its
management interface?

Current guess: the wiring of your old line was
broken, and BT switched your connection to a new
pair. The exchange line-card is seeing this as a
new line, and has switched back to training mode.
That would explain the improved performance, but
not the router problem.

If you are losing Internet connection, and can
still access the router then, look at the
connection stats - do you have DSL sync, is PPP
still up?

> Is there anything I should be telling zen to
> talk to BT about?

They probably have enough to shout at BT about.

(BT managed to drop one of our Centrals last week,
through a config error. 12,000 sessions off-line
instantly.)

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.