Re: [Hampshire] Keeping My Hard Drives Safe

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Keeping My Hard Drives Safe

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58727100.hantslug.org.uk.13573': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun May 31 08:43:30 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Jack,

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 01:01:10PM +0100, Jack Dunford wrote:
> Over the years I have acquired a collection of hard drives which I use for
> making backups of important and valuable data (i.e family photos, videos).
> My question is what do you guys recommend I do / use to keep my hard drives
> safe and secure from things like theft, fire, etc? They are just normal IDE
> / SATA hard drives.

If the source of the data (I assume disks inside your machines)
isn't encrypted then I suppose storing the backup disks just in a
locked place would be an equivalent level of security.

Perhaps if you don't trust the place you're going to be storing the
disks as much as your own home then you might want to use disk
encryption (multiple ways of doing it, have a search about).

As for fire, you'll just be wanting to store them in a separate
place. If you don't ave any separate places then you could consider
Amazon's S3 whose costs are quite reasonable even in the 100s of GiB
range as long as you're not constantly updating it with that much.

I still would like to see some sort of P2P backup thingy where it
split all your chosen files into blocks, encrypted them and then
stored copies of them "in the cloud," maintaining a certain level of
copies at all times.

Cheers,
Andy

"SCSI is usually fixed by remembering that it needs three terminations: One at
each end of the chain. And the goat." -- Andrew McDonald