Re: [Hampshire] Keeping My Hard Drives Safe

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Keeping My Hard Drives Safe
On Saturday 30 May 2009 13:01:10 Jack Dunford wrote:
> Hello everyone. Long time stalker first time poster.
>
> Over the years I have acquired a collection of hard drives which I use for
> making backups of important and valuable data (i.e family photos, videos).
> My question is what do you guys recommend I do / use to keep my hard drives
> safe and secure from things like theft, fire, etc? They are just normal IDE
> / SATA hard drives.
>
> Thanks,
> Jack

Hello and welcome Jack

Fire and theft, then you are looking at a fire proof safe\filing cabinet, not
cheap and possibly over kill for home data. If these are just backup of home
data then why not store them at a relatives house, store them in a small locked
case and then swap them over with the ones at home every now and again.

If the relatives have a computer and broadband connection, then get a network
storage device put it on there network and using some encryption and backup
software backup to the nas across the internet (obviously taking it home first
to do the first backup)

Hope it helps

Tim