[Hampshire] Install Ubuntu from USB HDD

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Install Ubuntu from USB HDD
Hi all

I've followed [1] to the letter but not able to boot any of my machines from a portable 80gb USB HDD. Can anyone see where I might have gone wrong please?

One area where I'm concerned is presumably the BIOS has to be set to boot from USB - but the only USB options I'm getting on any of my boxes from 2002 vintage to 2008 is USB-FDD or USB-CDROM. I've tried both and neither have succeeded.

Basically I'm trying to save a few quid (pennypinching really but every little helps as they say) - building a new box which, apart from installing the OS, I can't think of another reason why it would need an optical drive - anything I need I can get at over the network and I do have a 80Gb USB HDD to spare.

Cheers
Rob

[1] http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-from-usb-stick.html