Re: [Hampshire] Install Ubuntu from USB HDD

Author: Anton Piatek
To: paul, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Install Ubuntu from USB HDD
2009/6/4 Paul Stimpson <paul@???>:
> Hi,
>
> Does your machine have an F-key that produces a boot menu? I think it's F12 on my Dell and F9 on our works HPs. I sometimes find devices show up in the boot menu that aren't candidates for autobooting.
>
> There is also an option in the POST config on my Dell for "Legacy USB Support". If it's not turned on my machine doesn't power up the USB at boot so the devices never get scanned.

I recently configured a new system with a new motherboard which came
with a default setting of "usb disabled" in the bios - took me ages to
realise that usb ports could even be disabled in the bios...
It is worth checking the bios carefully for disabled usb, boot order
and also enableing "boot other decides" as USB often comes under that
(and may need a shortcut key as above

Anton

--
Anton Piatek
email: anton@???

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.