[Hampshire] Disk mounting locations

Author: Leo
To: Hampshire LUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Disk mounting locations
I've a general query about where to mount hard disks. I've read various
bits on the web about the general linux structure of /, /usr, /etc...
which I think I understand. However I now seem to have quite a few hard
disks in my desktop and I don't immediately see how they fit with this
structure.

Anyway after that somewhat rambling start what I was trying to get to is
the following: I started with a disk mounted on /, and one on /home.
I've since acquired some more hard disks that I use to store data
(mainly music) and I'm trying to work out how to mount them. The
options, as I see it, are:
1. Mount the disk directly in /home/me/Music.
2. Mount the disk in /mnt/Music and link /home/me/Music to it.
3. Mount the disk in /mnt/Music and bind /home/me/Music to it.

Is there a standard/prefered way of doing this? (As an aside, I am the
only user of the computer so I don't have to worry about other users
needing to access the drives.) I also have some samba shares on the
server that I want to use. What is the recommended way of mounting those
on my desktop?

Thanks,
Leo