Re: [Hampshire] Disk mounting locations

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Disk mounting locations
On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 at 06:16:06PM +0100, Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 12:09:23 +0100, Leo wrote:
>
> > options, as I see it, are:
> > 1. Mount the disk directly in /home/me/Music.
> > 2. Mount the disk in /mnt/Music and link /home/me/Music to it.
> > 3. Mount the disk in /mnt/Music and bind /home/me/Music to it.
> >
> > Is there a standard/prefered way of doing this?
>
> Conventionally you'd probably mount it to /mnt, or /media
> then symlink that to your preferred location.
>
> I have a similar disk with music, and it is mounted at
> /mnt/music. Then I have ~/mp3/ symlinked to /mnt/music/mp3
> and similarly I have ~/ogg/ symlinked to the disk.

Yes there is a standard, which is probably /media for a disk,
though on older systems it would have been /mnt.

It's easy as a beginner to want to mount things where we feel like
not where the standard says we should. However once you get the
hang of links it be comes natural to put things where they should
go and then link things how you want them to appear from your home
directiory as Steve has suggested.

A properly run Linux/Unix system should always follow the
standard, and you should always be able to lay your own links on
top. If you do things the easy/your way - that way leads to the
dark side - well normally just chaos...

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Considering the number of wheels Microsoft has found reason
to invent, one never ceases to be baffled by the minuscule
number whose shape even vaguely resembles a circle.
    -- anon, on Usenet