Re: [Hampshire] Broadband Issues

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Broadband Issues
On Saturday 06 June 2009 22:16:27 john wrote:
> Hi
>
> What time did you check your speeds. What servers did
> broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk use.
>
> Try it a time when few people are using the ISP broadband and try different
> speed checking servers. You may get a different result.
>
> John Eayrs
>
> On Saturday 06 June 2009 20:12:30 Scott Robinson wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Bit of a broadband issue here rather than Linux! Thought you may be
> > able to help.
> >
> > broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk reports speeds of 3360/258 although the
> > router (DG834GT on Sky) reports:
> >
> > ADSL Firmware Version A2pB022c.d20e
> > Modem Status Connected
> > DownStream Connection Speed 8032 kbps
> > UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
> > VPI 0
> > VCI 38
> >
> > Is it me being silly or is there a problem here somewhere?
> >
> > Regards,
> > --------------------------------------
> > Scott Robinson
> > eMail/MSN: scott@???
> > Mobile: 07704900554

While I would agree with John suggestion to try various speed testing site to
get a better view as to what your average speed is, there is very little chance
as Hugo point out that Scott will get the figures that the router is quoting. I
know sky do supply routers (I am not sure if this is a supplied one or not) but
I would not put it past Sky to doctor the router so that it only display the
maximum possible speed and not the actual speed as most routers I have seen do.

Tim