Re: [Hampshire] Broadband Issues

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Broadband Issues

> I would not put it past Sky to doctor the router so that it only display
> the maximum possible speed and not the actual speed as most routers I have
> seen do.

They don't need to.

The router displays the connection speed. That's the rate at which it can
exchange data over the phone line - the rate betwwen router and exchange.

The actual measured rate is the rate between the client PC and a test
server. To get to that server, the data must pass through the ISP's
network. That gives the ISP all sorts of control over how fast data is
transferred. Alternatively, the maximum speed is dictated by the maximum
speed that the ISP can support internally.

Getting an 8Mb/s connection speed isn't tricky if you're fairly close to
the exchange. Getting 8Mb/s through certain ISPs is pretty much impossible
:-(

Vic.