Re: [Hampshire] Legal DVD ripping

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Legal DVD ripping

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Gibbins" <sean@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2009 4:47 PM

> Rob Malpass wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm trying to rip some DVDs I've burned myself so no worries about
>> legality or indeed copy protection but having all sorts of trouble.
>>
>> All the googling I've done suggests k3b is best (on Hardy 64-bit).
>> Trouble is - k3b just doesn't respond to the rip video dvd option.
>> More googling turns up I actually need to recompile the darn thing
>> from scratch with the right libraries installed. I've no wish to try
>> this - would probably lead to all sorts of other problems in my
>> experience - I hate compiling huge projects from source - 99% failure
>> rate IMHO.
>>
>> So is there another simple dvd ripper out there? All I want is if I
>> have a disk with 4 titles, I want 4 avis / mpgs or whatever in a
>> folder.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Rob
>
> Hi Rob,
>
> I have used dvd::rip successfully on several titles, although it did
> fall down on the last one I tried it on, which appeared to have some
> clever way of obscuring the contents. It's in the Ubuntu repositories,
> FWIW.
>
> Sean
>
> --
> www.funkygibbins.me.uk
>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Thanks Sean - I'm playing with dvd::rip now. Looks very good - infact I
had "seen" it - but not noticed the double colon in the midle so spent 1
fruitless minute looking for dvd:rip and not finding it in the repositories
so gave up!!

However - with me running in 14 point font - I've had to knock it down to 6
point for the whole thing to fit on my desktop (the rip button had
disappeared off the bottom) which prompts two further questions:

1) Who do I report such a bug to (assuming it counts as a bug)?
2) Is there a way I can scroll around my own desktop if this sort of thing
happens again? To be clear, what has happened here is that, running in the
14 point font which I must observe with my eyes, the window is bigger than
the desktop. Desktop is 1024x768 so what I need to do is pan down such
that the top of the window disappears off the top of my desktop and the
bottom of the window becomes visible.

Cheers
Rob