Re: [Hampshire] 3 mobile data (was:A sad day...)

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] 3 mobile data (was:A sad day...)

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Victor Churchill wrote:

> That's putting it very mildly... the 3connect gadget or whatever it is that
> does the Windows connection is ghastly (that's when my wife uses it on her
> laptop, you understand).

Personally I've not had any issues with it, seems to work fine for me.

> As for "if there is signal..." - on the train from Bmth to Clapham
> Junction I gave up trying to do any online work and played Sudoku
> instead. Seemed to be no signal more often than not, so to speak.

Yes the train line from Southampton to London (which covers a lot of the
same ground) has pretty poor coverage in my experience, both for signal on
my 3 modem and my Vodafone phone.

Basingstoke to Reading is better with a decent 3 connection most of the
way, but there is still a 5 minute black spot in the middle of the
journey.

On the journey from Reading into Paddington though I have repeatedly
maintained an ssh session the whole way on the 3 modem, it's just a shame
every route doesn't have that kind of coverage.

Andy