Re: [Hampshire] Broadband Issues

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Broadband Issues
2009/6/6 Hugo Mills <hugo@???>:
> On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 10:47:31PM +0000, Nick Chalk wrote:
>> Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:
>> > Only in this case, it isn't. It's showing the
>> > maximum protocol speed, not the (likely) data
>> > rate between the modem and the exchange,
>> > which is generally the limiting factor.
>>
>> Is that a feature of the DG834? The routers I've
>> worked with all display the current sync rate.
>
>   I just find it hard to believe that *any* ADSL (1) line is actually
> syncing at that data rate.
>
>   Hugo.

My DG834GT claims:-
DownStream Connection Speed      8128 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed     448 kbps

And Zen claim:-
Upstream Downstream  Sync Rate   BRAS Profile   Interleave   Sync Date
              Date
448          7150               8128            adsl7150         Auto
    27-Apr-2009 00:15    27-Apr-2009 00:15

Seems to me that the DG834 tells the truth. I do live close to the
exchange, probably 0.25mi away. Some workmen dug up the cable feeding
the pole the serves our house a couple of years back, so that was
fixed, and the line quality was improved massively after that. I do
get really quick downloads. It does slow down during the busy periods,
but sometimes it really surprises me how quick it goes.

--
Philip Stubbs