Re: [Hampshire] No WPA2 option in Jaunty

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] No WPA2 option in Jaunty

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Pope" <alan@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 9:28 PM

Hi Rob,

2009/6/26 Rob Malpass <lug@???>:
> My wireless lan uses WPA2 and there's no such option in network manager -
> only wep and something called LEAP which I've never heard of. I've tried
> them all and no surprise - no dice.. Sorry if this is a bit old - but
> anyone know a workaround. My install disk was a LXF coverDVD so presumably
> has the full package list on it.

Assuming you can get online somehow (wired network?)..

Can you run this command:-

sudo lshw > ~/hardware.txt

sudo apt-get install pastebinit

pastebinit ~/hardware.txt

This will paste information about your hardware (including the network
card) to a public pastebin and give you a url. Give us that url and we
can take a look.

Cheers,
Al.

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???

Hi all

Couldn't get pastebinit to work (couldn't find the package) but here's the
details courtesy of a wired connection. Before I post - one quick
question... When I boot, I get the red cross in the notification area so I
click on it and I get options for mine plus other wifi networks, I click
mine and then it asks for anything but a WPA2 password. Therein lies the
problem. However if I right click on that icon and do edit wireless
networks, I get a box with lots of auto frednet or whatever. If I edit any
of these I am allowed to choose wpa-personal. I then close the box down
but "auto frednet" does not appear if I click the notification icon. Am I
doing anything fundamentally wrong here?

Anyways - here's the stuff

Cheers
Rob

invers
    product: Portable PC
    vendor: TOSHIBA
    version: Version 1.0
    serial: 0000000000
    width: 32 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.3 dmi-2.3
    configuration: administrator_password=disabled boot=user-requested
chassis=notebook frontpanel_password=disabled keyboard_password=disabled
power-on_password=disabled
  *-core
       product: Portable PC
       vendor: TOSHIBA
       physical id: 0
       version: Version A0
       serial: 0000000000
     *-firmware
          vendor: TOSHIBA
          physical id: 0
          version: Version 1.30 (11/14/2001)
          size: 128KiB
          capacity: 448KiB
          capabilities: isa pci pcmcia pnp apm upgrade shadowing vesa cdboot
bootselect pcmciaboot edd int13floppytoshiba int13floppy720 int5printscreen
int9keyboard int14serial int17printer acpi usb agp biosbootspecification
netboot
     *-cpu
          product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU      1000MHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 4
          bus info: cpu@0
          version: 6.11.1
          slot: uFC-PGA Socket
          size: 731MHz
          capacity: 1GHz
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 133MHz
          capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8
sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse up cpufreq
        *-cache:0
             physical id: 12
             slot: CPU Internal
             size: 32KiB
             capacity: 32KiB
             clock: 1GHz (1.0ns)
             capabilities: internal write-back
        *-cache:1
             physical id: 13
             slot: CPU Internal
             size: 512KiB
             capacity: 512KiB
             clock: 1GHz (1.0ns)
             capabilities: internal write-back
     *-memory
          physical id: 81
          slot: System board or motherboard
          size: 256MiB
          capacity: 1GiB
        *-bank:0
             physical id: 0
             slot: DIMM 0
             size: 256MiB
             width: 64 bits
        *-bank:1
             physical id: 1
             slot: DIMM 1
             width: 64 bits
     *-pci
          product: 82830 830 Chipset Host Bridge
          vendor: Intel Corporation
          physical id: 100
          bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
          version: 02
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          configuration: driver=agpgart-intel module=intel_agp
        *-pci:0
             product: 82830 830 Chipset AGP Bridge
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:01.0
             version: 02
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 66MHz
             capabilities: pci bus_master
           *-display UNCLAIMED
                product: SuperSavage IX/C SDR
                vendor: S3 Inc.
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                version: 05
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 66MHz
                capabilities: pm agp agp-2.0 bus_master cap_list
                configuration: latency=248 maxlatency=255 mingnt=4
        *-usb:0
             product: 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #1
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1d
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.0
             version: 01
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: bus_master
             configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
        *-usb:1
             product: 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #2
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1d.1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.1
             version: 01
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: bus_master
             configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
        *-usb:2
             product: 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #3
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1d.2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.2
             version: 01
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: bus_master
             configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
        *-pci:1
             product: 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1e
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1e.0
             version: 41
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci bus_master
           *-firewire
                product: TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
                vendor: Texas Instruments
                physical id: 7
                bus info: pci@0000:02:07.0
                version: 00
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
                configuration: driver=ohci1394 latency=64 maxlatency=4
mingnt=2 module=ohci1394
           *-network
                product: 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet
Controller
                vendor: Intel Corporation
                physical id: 8
                bus info: pci@0000:02:08.0
                logical name: eth0
                version: 41
                serial: 00:00:39:f8:91:eb
                size: 10MB/s
                capacity: 100MB/s
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp
mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100
driverversion=3.5.23-k6-NAPI duplex=half firmware=N/A ip=192.168.0.5
latency=64 link=yes maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 module=e100 multicast=yes
port=MII speed=10MB/s
           *-pcmcia:0
                product: PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller
                vendor: Texas Instruments
                physical id: a
                bus info: pci@0000:02:0a.0
                version: 01
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pcmcia bus_master cap_list
                configuration: driver=yenta_cardbus latency=176 maxlatency=5
mingnt=64 module=yenta_socket
              *-network
                   product: Version 01.01
                   vendor: TOSHIBA
                   physical id: 0
                   slot: Socket 0
                   resources: irq:11
           *-pcmcia:1
                product: ToPIC100 PCI to Cardbus Bridge with ZV Support
                vendor: Toshiba America Info Systems
                physical id: b
                bus info: pci@0000:02:0b.0
                version: 32
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pcmcia bus_master cap_list
                configuration: driver=yenta_cardbus latency=0 maxlatency=5
mingnt=128 module=yenta_socket
           *-pcmcia:2
                product: ToPIC100 PCI to Cardbus Bridge with ZV Support
                vendor: Toshiba America Info Systems
                physical id: b.1
                bus info: pci@0000:02:0b.1
                version: 32
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pcmcia bus_master cap_list
                configuration: driver=yenta_cardbus latency=0 maxlatency=5
mingnt=128 module=yenta_socket
           *-system UNCLAIMED
                product: SD TypA Controller
                vendor: Toshiba America Info Systems
                physical id: d
                bus info: pci@0000:02:0d.0
                version: 03
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm cap_list
                configuration: latency=0
        *-isa
             product: 82801CAM ISA Bridge (LPC)
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1f
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.0
             version: 01
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: isa bus_master
             configuration: latency=0
        *-ide
             product: 82801CAM IDE U100 Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1f.1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.1
             logical name: scsi0
             logical name: scsi1
             version: 01
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: ide bus_master emulated
             configuration: driver=ata_piix latency=0
           *-disk
                product: WDC WD800BEVE-00
                vendor: Western Digital
                physical id: 0
                bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
                logical name: /dev/sda
                version: 01.0
                serial: WD-WXE308NF6573
                size: 74GiB (80GB)
                capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
                configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=94449444
              *-volume:0
                   vendor: Linux
                   physical id: 1
                   bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,1
                   logical name: /dev/sda1
                   logical name: /
                   version: 1.0
                   serial: 9ecb244b-89e9-4435-bcab-046b4916e7c4
                   size: 73GiB
                   capacity: 73GiB
                   capabilities: primary bootable journaled
extended_attributes large_files recover ext3 ext2 initialized
                   configuration: created=2009-06-26 20:16:20
filesystem=ext3 modified=2009-06-27 13:51:37 mount.fstype=ext3
mount.options=rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered mounted=2009-06-27
13:51:37 state=mounted
              *-volume:1
                   physical id: 2
                   bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,2
                   logical name: /dev/sda2
                   size: 713MiB
                   capacity: 713MiB
                   capabilities: primary extended partitioned
partitioned:extended
                 *-logicalvolume
                      physical id: 5
                      logical name: /dev/sda5
                      capacity: 713MiB
                      capabilities: nofs
           *-cdrom
                product: DVD-ROM SD-C2502
                vendor: TOSHIBA
                physical id: 1
                bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
                logical name: /dev/cdrom
                logical name: /dev/dvd
                logical name: /dev/scd0
                logical name: /dev/sr0
                logical name: /media/cdrom0
                version: 1313
                capabilities: removable audio dvd
                configuration: ansiversion=5 mount.fstype=iso9660
mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,utf8 state=mounted status=ready
              *-medium
                   physical id: 0
                   logical name: /dev/cdrom
                   logical name: /media/cdrom0
                   configuration: mount.fstype=iso9660
mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,utf8 state=mounted
        *-multimedia
             product: 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1f.5
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.5
             version: 01
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: bus_master
             configuration: driver=Intel ICH latency=0 module=snd_intel8x0
        *-communication UNCLAIMED
             product: 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1f.6
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.6
             version: 01
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             configuration: latency=0
  *-battery
       product: LI615A
       vendor: TOSHIBA
       physical id: 1
       version: 04/15/02
       serial: 2000009609
       slot: 1st Battery
       configuration: voltage=10.8V
  *-network:0 DISABLED
       physical id: 2
       logical name: eth1
       serial: 00:02:2d:36:84:b6
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=orinoco driverversion=0.15
firmware=Lucent/Agere 6.14 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11b
  *-network:1 DISABLED
       physical id: 3
       logical name: pan0
       serial: 12:bd:38:a4:98:81
       capabilities: ethernet physical
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3
firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes