[Hampshire] alternatives to acroread

Author: john lewis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] alternatives to acroread

are there any other alternatives to acroread apart from xpdf and kpdf

acroread is currently unusable due to a series of dependency problems

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code
(1) A package failed to install. Trying to
recover: Setting up ia32-apt-get
(18) ... gpg: no default secret key: secret key not
available gpg: signing failed: secret key not
available dpkg: error processing ia32-apt-get
(--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script returned
error exit status 2 dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
ia32-libs-gtk: ia32-libs-gtk depends on ia32-apt-get (>= 15);
however: Package ia32-apt-get is not configured
yet. dpkg: error processing ia32-libs-gtk
(--configure): dependency problems - leaving
unconfigured dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
ia32-libs: ia32-libs depends on ia32-apt-get (>= 15);
however: Package ia32-apt-get is not configured
yet. dpkg: error processing ia32-libs
(--configure): dependency problems - leaving
unconfigured dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
acroread: acroread depends on ia32-libs-gtk;
however: Package ia32-libs-gtk is not configured
yet. dpkg: error processing acroread
(--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

I do use xpdf for occasional reading of the many small pdf files I get
sent but neither xpdf or kpdf are as good as acroread for some of the
big data files I use daily, For starters acroread can open multiple
files in tabs which neither of the other two can do.

I normally have four files permanently open in acroread (Hampshire
Burials Index, Berkshire Burials Index, Hampshire Marriage Index
1754-1812 and Hampshire Marriage Index 1812-1837) and make a lot
of use of the search function. I may also open up several Baptism
Indexes in yet more tabs.

xpdf doesn't seem to have a search function but does show the indexes to
those pdf files, kpdf has a search function but doesn't show the
indexes so it is tedious to get to a specific part of a file.

The main problem with both these apps is inability to open more than
one file at a time plus these are quite large pdf files and kpdf
fails to open some of them.

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop