[Hampshire] Solaris & Virtualization

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Solaris & Virtualization
Hi all

>From time to time, I play around a bit with Solaris. Lately I've been doing so on a pretty power machine with 4Gb RAM running Hardy and VirtualBox with Solaris inside.

The thing is, even though the virtual machine is highly specified (I've given it 2Gb RAM) - the running of Solaris inside it seems very slow and clunky. In fact come to think of it whenever I've run things inside virtual machines - it always seems a bit slow and clunky.

Is this just Solaris?
Have I missed something on the spec of the vm?
Is this a feature of virtualising in general?

I can put together a decent machine for probably under 200UKP if I build it myself - just wondered if the potential gain in performance is worth it.

Cheers
ROb